Menu of Learning Options: C.L.A.S.S.
Menu of Learning Options: C.L.A.S.S. Customized Learning Anywhere/Anytime for Student Success
Mount Airy City Schools (MACS) offers educational opportunities that are tailor-made for today’s learners. Led by highly-qualified staff and offering a full range of student support, this partnership allows students from all backgrounds and areas of interest, to customize their learning experience through Customized Learning Anywhere/Anytime for Student Success (CLASS). We have been assisting students in blended models for the past 20 years and working extensively with homeschoolers since 2016. Through these partnerships, we have fine-tuned our offerings.
Is this partnership right for you and your student?
- Has your student experienced remote learning or previously been homeschooled, but needs more support with the challenging curriculum?
- Would your child benefit from a blended schedule that provides flexibility to meet your family’s needs?
- Is it sometimes difficult for your student to attend a traditional, seated school? (ex. he/she is involved in competitive sports and travel, has a child to care for, has an illness, etc.)
- Is your student self-motivated, committed to academic success, and able to monitor his/her own progress?
- Does your student have the proper support at home to help him/her be successful? Can your student dedicate at least 45 minutes per day per class?
- Students must be enrolled at least half of the instructional minutes required for their school in order to be considered full time.
- Students must enroll in a total of 2 courses to be eligible to participate in high school athletics. See special notes below.
- C.L.A.S.S. can supplement the home school curriculum, or replace it entirely.
- Students have the choice of whether to graduate from their homeschool program or to earn a high school diploma from MACS.
- Internet access is provided for Career and College Promise (CCP) students at the C.L.A.S.S sites within MACS, Surry Community College, and Reeves Community Center.
- Transportation is the caretaker’s responsibility.
- MACS offers a computer or iPad on loan for accessing remote learning and online classes.
- Students and teachers communicate directly with each other through email, telephone, and other communication platforms. (ie: Schoology, Zoom, Seesaw, etc.)
- A highly-qualified educator will serve as a Success Coach for each student to support onboarding and remote learning. They will help your student through each part of the learning process.
Special Note: Student-athletes must meet the following criteria to participate in athletics in Mount Airy City Schools.
- Student-athlete must be enrolled in at least two high school level courses or half-time at the middle school level.
- Student-athlete must live within Mount Airy City Schools district or have attended 8th grade at MAMS and been released from their home district for participation at MAHS.
- In order to retain eligibility moving forward, a high school student-athlete must pass three courses.