Mount Airy City Schools virtual learning option for kindergarten-fifth grade students.
How is the MACS Micro-School designed?
A Hybrid Learning Model
- Highly qualified teachers plan rigorous instruction based on the NC Standard Course of Study.
- Teachers are able to plan rigorous and personalized lessons based on the academic needs of each student. This allows the specific needs of students to determine the pace of learning throughout the year.
- Learning support and enrichment services are provided by teachers to students who qualify via Google Meet each week. These Google Meets are provided in grade level specific times in order to best meet the needs of each student.
- Enhancement services such as Leader in Me and Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) support is provided to students through lessons and activities. School-based therapy is available to students and families through the district's partnership with Daymark, click here to learn more.
- Students participate in state testing on campus for the beginning and end of grade assessments. Students in grades 3rd through 8th will complete their NC Check-Ins from home using iPads. Students in the second grade will take the CoGAT in the spring on campus. The MACS testing calendar can be reviewed here and all information will be shared out in weekly newsletters for Micro-School families.
School, Home, and Community Connections
- Trips and online sessions will take place in order to provide students the opportunity to learn about Community Helpers and partners. We have strong partnerships with the Mount Airy Police and Fire Departments, as well as the City of Mount Airy, The Chamber of Commerce and the Downtown Business Association which allows students to get a closer look at what our community offers its citizens.
- Special guests will be invited to read and speak with students in order to continue to foster a love of learning.
- Monthly online sessions with an elementary principal via Google Meet will allow students to maintain a sense of "bear pride." - Coming soon to Spring and Summer 2022
- Sessions with the School Resource Officer will allow students to learn about citizenship and healthy living habits. (DARE)
- Partnerships will continue with the Surry Arts Council and Mount Airy Parks and Recreation. These partnerships provide opportunities for fitness, health lessons, and active engagement with art in our community.
- Family Engagement activities will be shared throughout each month to encourage and support our Micro-School families as they take on this innovative approach to school for their child(ren).
- Students receive student athletic passes for home games and are also able to receive school lunches on field trip days.
S.T.E.A.M. and Learning Pods
- Our MACS Micro-School is small, which allows us to complete lessons in small "learning pods" by grade level. The student to teacher ratio is low and allows for stronger relationship building and more personalized, student specific instruction.
- An example of a learning pod may happen when our 4th and 5th graders, less than 10 students, come together for hands-on lessons with teachers to dig deeper into the science standards. With the use of our Micro-School team, teachers are able to facilitate the science content with technology integration (iPads and microscopes) for improved learning outcomes.
- Face-to-face place-based sessions occur around the community based on student interest and are aligned with the MACS S.T.E.A.M. framework.
- S.T.E.A.M. lessons will be embedded throughout the year to enhance cross-curricular content.
- Greenway rides and walks, weather permitting will occur throughout the year.
- Weekly or Monthly Place-based learning will be provided at the MACS Community Central Office or within the community. This allows students to continue to maintain relationships with other MACS Micro-School students.
- Field trips will be provided at least 4 times throughout the school year.
- Lessons and learning experiences will involve career exploration in the areas of S.T.E.A.M.
- Students will have opportunities to participate in Visual and Performing Arts throughout the year.
- Transportation will be provided as needed for Micro-School students living within the Mount Airy City School District limits. This will ensure that all students have equitable opportunities to engage in field trips and place-based learning.
Director of Innovative Programming
Director of Innovative Programming
Join us on Wednesday, April 13th from 6-7pm on Zoom.
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89207251184 Meeting ID: 892 0725 1184