Tiered Support within MTSS
Prior to referral for a special education evaluation due to a suspected SLD, the following components of MTSS should be met:
Recommendations for Consideration of Eligibility in Special Education:
- Daily Tier 1 (core) instruction
- Weakest prerequisite skill targeted on instructional level for intervention
- Intervention logs completed & student-specific within Branching Minds
- Progress monitoring with a suggested minimum of 6 data points
- Fidelity checks completed with 80% integrity (completed by school admins or interventionist)
- Monthly MTSS data team meetings with ROI calculated
- Documentation of parent communication of student progress completed within Branching Minds.
- Recommended two changes in Intervention (if directly placed in Tier 3 Intervention) or one change during Tier 3 intervention if moved from Tier 2 to Tier 3
- Gap Analysis indicates that a student’s progress is not sufficient for adequate growth when compared to other students in comparable interventions.
- Exclusionary factors (i.e., Vision, Hearing, English Language barrier, and Lack of Instruction) have been ruled out
If a parent verbally requests an evaluation, staff should advise the parent to make the request in writing and send it to the principal/teacher/EC teacher of the school. Upon receipt, the EC personnel at the school will begin the special education process by scheduling an initial referral meeting to discuss the parent's request. During this process, interventions should continue within the regular education classroom. The IEP team will convene and discuss all relevant data at the initial referral meeting. The IEP team will then decide if moving forward with formal evaluations through the special education process is warranted and request the required components of eligibility.