Dual Language Immersion
Mount Airy City Schools is proud to offer a Spanish-English dual language program that prepares students for the 21st century and offers them unique opportunities throughout their lives. This program is specially designed to develop students' language proficiency through core academic instruction. We recognize the need to ensure that our students are well-prepared to excel in a competitive, multilingual, multicultural and globalized world.
- MACS Dual Language program provides students with an opportunity to participate in an enriched educational model, which immerses them in two languages and two cultures from kindergarten through eighth grade.
- In our dual language programs, students from different language backgrounds learn together while instruction is delivered in two languages. Students read, write, listen and speak in both languages becoming bilingual, biliterate, bicultural while working towards grade-level academic achievement.
- Dual language programs are ideal for any student. Young children have the ability to gain language faster with near native like language skills. Learning a language at a young age increases cognitive development, which allows for deeper levels of learning.
- Students who join dual language programs will see incredible benefits throughout their lives. Knowing two languages allows for greater success in university language classes and employment opportunities. Additionally, language skills open the door to other countries, cultures, and people.
Important Dates for the 2023-2024 Year
- Kick-Off: November 2, 2023, from 6:00-7:00 p.m. (BHT)
- December 7, 2023, from 9:00-10:00 a.m. (BHT Tour)
- January 18, 2024, from 9:00-10:00 a.m. (BHT Tour)
- February 8, 2024, from 9:00-10:00 a.m. (BHT Tour)
- DLI Registration Closes March 1, 2024 (all kindergarten paperwork due)
- DLI Lottery March 22, 2024, 12:00 noon
- May 8, 2024, from 9:00-10:00 a.m. (Rising 3rd Graders Tour to Jones).
Testimonials from Staff, Families, and Students
Resources Discussing Dual Language Immersion
School Success Inspires NC Push for Dual Language - Article and Video